Real-life training will never be obsolete. Traditionally, this is done through seminars and training events.
Valamis provides a special event management system that will help you oversee the learner participation and share available and upcoming events with the users. Different instances of one event, called Sessions, are also supported.
The main view has several view modes: Calendar, List, and Grid.
The available tabs filter the events:
- All events - all the events (the filtering options listed below still apply)
- My events - the events where the user is a trainer or participant
- Created by me - the events created by the user
- Trainership - the event where the user is a trainer
There are extensive filtering options available on top of tabs, like filtering by event type, language, location, or category.
Creating a new event
To create a new training event, click the New event button.
There are two main types of settings: Basic information and Event details. The former applies to all Sessions (instances of the same event), while the latter applies specifically to a specific session of an event.
Basic information includes:
- Training event title - Title of training, displayed in the header. If a title was not set, it takes a default name (New event #1,2,3)
- Description – describes the event to the users
- Related materials – specify the lessons that will be recommended to participants. You can either allow those to be shown immediately in the event info or to only be sent to attendees after the event.
- Categories – choose or add a category for your event.
Event details include:
- Cover image
- Event type:
- Classroom type will provide Training Location details, like address and room. If Google Maps API is configured, the location will be displayed in them, as well.
- Webinar type will provide an URL to join.
- Note: if you have set up Webex integration, you can choose a Webex meeting here. This will create a Webex meeting in your Webex service, as well.
- Starting Date and time
- Ending Date and time
- Time zone - in the event info, the user will see both local and user time zone.
- Days before reminder sets the notification period for an upcoming event.
- Enrollment process - Auto (everyone who can view the event can join freely), By request (need approval), Manual (only instructors can add users)
- Confirmation of participation - check this option if you want to have a manual confirmation of the participation for the training event to be counted as an achieved goal.
- Maximum number of participants
- Maximum waitlist size - in case the maximum user limit is exceeded, the rest of the users are placed into the waitlist. You can limit its size.
- Training reference number – optional field for an ID, used in third-party systems.
- Language - specify the language in which the event is conducted.
- Calendar - choose a related Liferay calendar for your event.
- Certification - set, whether attendees will get a certificate upon passing the event.
In Add members and Add trainers tabs you can add users, who are trainers as well as normal members. In those tabs, it is possible to use the Search field to find users by their username, organization, user groups, and roles.
You can edit a created Training event, by clicking on it from the main view as a user with editing rights.
A Preview tab shows the basic info of the event, how it will be seen by a normal user. You can edit it in the next Edit info tab. You can add or remove users or trainers in the Edit members/trainers tabs.
In this tab, you can also send a message to all participants, using our Messages functionality. Just click Message to participants to send a message to each participant of that event
In the Sessions tab, you can add multiple instances of the same event that may take place at different times and locations. It means that taking part in any session will be counted as participating in the event.
As an admin/instructor, you can also leave simple comments for yourself or other instructors in the Instructor notes tab.
If you enable Confirmation of participation, you will be able to mark the user attendance, which will count towards their learning goal completion.
To do so, go into the event details. Open Members tab, and you will now see the Attended and Absent buttons in front of every member. Mark attendance by clicking on them.
Those with the Attended status will successfully complete any learning goals associated with this event and will get certificates, if Certification is enabled.
Joining an event
Users can join an event through several places in Valamis:
- Training events portlet
- Upcoming events on the Dashboard
- Link in the learning paths, where the event is listed as a learning goal.
Depending on the event enrollment settings, you may either join immediately, or send a request. The instructor will then deny or approve it.
If there're too many requests, you will be put into a waiting list, in case somebody drops out of the event.
Want to provide feedback?
If you have questions or ideas for improvements, you can click the button below to send us a message. We will greatly appreciate it.