Skill Management in Valamis
Valamis provides an integrated competence management system that gives instructors an overlook on the collective skill levels. This helps identify skill gaps and create better teams.
Skill management is essential for all kinds of top executives, including managers and business executives, as well as teachers and supervisors.
A table, generated by existing categories, skills and skill levels allows employees or learners self-estimate their knowledge, skills and experience, as well as set future goals for improvement.
As a superior, you can browse the skill database, grade the competences of the users and yourself, and view the competence profiles of the learners.
Users can edit their skill table by clicking Edit skills.
In the opened skill table, they need to find a skill and select their skill level, by selecting Current level in the dropdown.
They can mark a skill level as their future goals by selecting My goal in the same dropdown.
Creating a Skill Database
The Competence Administration provides the necessary tools for building the skill database for your personnel.
- Categories: create and manage the categories and subcategories for the skills
- Competences: assign the competences to users
- Level of competence: create your own levels of competence with which to grade the user skills
- Skills: create the needed skills, assign them to categories
- Add Category (competence, level of competence, skill): create new element
- Edit, delete buttons: manage the created elements by editing the details and deleting them
Categories are important for organizing your skill database. It can include skills and other categories. To add a category, click Add category.
- By filling the Parent category field, you create a subcategory for the already existing category. If you want to add a completely new category, leave this field empty.
- The Order section allows you to prioritize the category listing in the Categories tab. Lower number means higher priority. Subcategories move up or down the list with their parent category, and have their own adjustable order to follow under the parent.
- Name the category.
- By clicking Add subcategory on this screen, you can immediately add a subcategory.
- The Add skill button allows you to create new skills to fall under the category you are creating.
Note: to add already existing skills to your category, edit them through the Skills tab.
Through this tab you can evaluate and rank the competence of the specific user in their skills. Click Add competence to evaluate a user's skills.
- First, choose the User whose skill you want to evaluate.
- Choose the Skill for evaluation.
- Rank the user's skill using the Level of Competence that you've created.
- You can set the competence of this user as Favorite.
- Describe your evaluation in the Description box.
Levels of Competence
Skill levels are used for grading the competence of users. For example, Junior, Middle, or Senior could be a level of competence. You create them on your own in this tab and then apply it to the existing skills, when evaluating the user competence.
Here, you can view and add skills that will be seen in your skill table.
- To add the new skill, click the Add skill button.
- Name the skill.
- Describe it in the Description window.
- Categorize it, using previously created categories or subcategories.
Connecting Skills to Learning Paths
User skills can be connected to learning paths, allowing users to achieve new skill levels through the learning path completion.
In the learning path details, there are two settings connected to skills:
- Required skills - defines the prerequisite skill level for a learning path. Only users with that skill level can join the learning path.
- Recommended skills - adds skill recommendations to learning path info, which are not required to have.
- Skills which be improved - defines the skills that will be improved to a defined level after completing the learning path.
Want to provide feedback?
If you have questions or ideas for improvements, you can click the button below to send us a message. We will greatly appreciate it.